Sunday 9 March 2014

Do Not Disturb...

My delightful Husband, whom I love endlessly, went to the football yesterday.  In return he's given me the day off today and taken the Small people to the zoo, he's nice that!

I awoke, after a long and restful sleep to discover the house entirely empty.  No Mother, Father and Brother in the East Wing making scraps of noise.  A strange rarity indeed.  In fact, I don't think I've had the luxury of being entirely home alone since before Wiggles was born.  In celebration of this fact so far I've enjoyed eaten an extravagant breakfast without having to share, I concluded it by eating an entirely self indulgent biscuit for "breakfast pudding" (just invented it).

I've had an uninterrupted bath, in which I drank tea and listened to 6 Music, I've thoroughly and correctly moisturised.

After selecting some music of my choice from our extensive collection, I sat down and dried my hair without singing "the hairdryer song" once.  I would love to say I chose something deeply cool and impressive to listen to, but no, given all the choice in the world I went for The Divine Comedy and sang along loudly and badly to "The Gin Soaked Boy" and to my even deeper shame some Snow Patrol.  Gary Lightbody has never been remotely credible, excluding the time when he parked himself on the back of a horse and crooned a couple of lines of "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" in Game of Thrones.  Still, not a single person rolled their eyes and declared "Oh, Mummy!".

I am now I'm sitting down watching my choice of television programme which doesn't feature a single singing pink pony, advert for prohibitively expensive shoes or toys.

Shortly I will be attending the supermarket (dull, but necessary) and this outing will not contain any screaming, being stared at by strangers for having the noisiest child on the planet or the purchase of any 3 for £1 luminous sweeties to act as bribery to get her to shut the fluff up. If I spot any frazzled looking mothers with bellowing babies, I will dutifully give them that sympathetic look which usually only the childless and carefree are allowed to dish out.

After concluding the shopping I may be found parked on my 'arris in Costa Coffee reading a newspaper like an actual human being.

Do not Disturb!


18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Clare, it was lovely! Need another again now!

      Delete
  2. That all sounds grand. Is the hip flask part of the supermarket survival strategy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! No, but it should be! They should issue one to all parents on entrance - I'd religiously shop there if they did!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a perfect day! Hope you enjoyed x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bliss! Especially loving the sound of breakfast pudding and 6 music bathing. I'm intrigued by the hairdryer song though... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes: "Dry, dry, dry your hair, dry your baby hair...." to the tune of row, row, row your boat. It's not the best song, I admit, but it is insisted upon whenever the hairdryer makes an appearance!

      Delete
  5. Enjoy your well deserved mama-time!!! :-) relaxing baths are the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? Lovely and hot and soothing! Thank you, Aanie xx

      Delete
  6. I am completely jealous! I hope you enjoyed the rest of your day - you deserve it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh, thank you, Randalin. You are lovely xx

      Delete
  7. Sounds a good day Kate :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really,lovely, Jess, thank you! I need another now.....

      Delete
  8. It's nice to have some me time every once in a while!
    :) Danica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! Thank you for stopping by Danica xx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading your lovely comments x

If you're a rotten stinking spambot; shoooooo! Away with you!!