Tuesday 29 January 2013

Liebster? Who, Miebster?



I am honoured and privileged to have been nominated for not one, but two Liebster Awards by the delightful Amy at Cocktails in Teacups and by lovely Rhiannon over at The Sparkly Panda.  I love these two blogs and the ladies behind them.  They are true to life, good honest folk and I feel very at home at round at their blogs. My little blog is still the new kid on the block, so it's extra special to me.  I'd like to thank my parents, my agent, ahem, no wait, forget that.....

It does seem that a fair few people on my list of nominees have already received a Liebster award, so apologies if that is the case.  I am slightly conscious that the Liebster Award could potentially be a kind of blog based equivalent of the Herman the German Friendship Cake, when these did the rounds in my village a short time ago people eventually started to run away in fear, but I believe that was more because you had to put up with a smelly cake taking up worktop space in your kitchen for days on end, than for any other reason.  As far as I know I do not have to post any of you a small piece of pulsating dough, unless you would particularly like one?  Anyway, my point is; feel free not to respond if you have already been nominated elsewhere, but I am chuffed to bits to have received TWO awards so I'm going to take great delight in playing along.

So!  For anyone still in the dark the rules are:
  • List 11 random facts about yourself
  • Answer the 11 questions which are given to you by your nominator
  • Ask 11 new questions for all the bloggers that you nominate to win the award
  • Nominate 9 bloggers with less than 200 followers to win the award
  • Go to each of the blogger's pages to let them know about their nomination.
Basically it's a nice way to promote up and coming bloggers, increase visibilty and spread the love a little.

Cool huh?  So, let's go:

11 Random facts about lil ol' me:

1.  My firstborn was named after a footballer to punish her for crying so much as a newborn baby.  We don't talk about it.  Thankfully it's only her second middle name. What can I say, I was tired, emotional and easily led...

2.  I always wear both of my Grandmother's wedding rings.  I decided to forgo an engagement ring as I couldn't bear to be parted with them.  The two women never met, and I never even knew my Grandmother on my Mother's side, but strangely enough they both had pretty much identical simple gold bands.  Looking at them on my hand always makes me smile.

3.  I am a veritable fountain of Sherlock Holmes based knowledge.  That dude rocked.

4.  I hate musicals, for some reason people bursting into song embarrasses the bejesus out of me.  A fight or flight instinct comes over me and I will TAKE DOWN EVERY MOTHER-HUBBARD ONE OF YOU THAT TRIES TO STOP ME FROM LEAVING.  Ahem, sorry.

5.  I can walk on stilts.  Not a skill I use a great deal.  Maybe I should put it on my CV?

6.  I have a mortal fear of buffets.  If I'm the first one up, and the food has been freshly laid out and is untouched, then fine.  But as that never happens I generally steer clear.  Even when I'm starving, the thought makes me gag.

7.  I don't go anywhere without an umbrella and some antibacterial gel.  I hate getting wet and I hate getting germy.  The umbrella thing got worse after going to see Bill Bailey with Mr Husband Sir at Wembley in the rain and my cheap Primark shoes melted.  It transpired that they looked lovely, but where made of cardboard pulp.  I had to strap Sainsbury's bags to my feet and walk through London looking like a bag lady.  I don't even want to think about the germs that must have gotten onto my feet!

8.  I can't be in a car for more than 20 minutes without falling asleep.  Unless I am driving the car of course.  Then I'm safe for around two whole hours.  After that you might want to take over....

9.  Spiral staircases fill me with dread.  I just freeze.  I once held up a guided tour at Oxford Tower by having a complete blibble about going up or down the stairs.  Cue evil stares and tuts from grannies and several other tourists.  

10.  My dog ate my hamster when I was nine.  RIP Pickle.  I was devastated.  Everyone I told laughed.

11.  I have never seen, Grease, Dirty Dancing, Jaws or Star Wars all the way through.  I have film-based commitment issues.  And Grease is a musical, see number four.

Here are Amy's questions:

What new years resolutions did you make? (if any, if not, why?)
I try not to make any formal resolutions, because it makes me feel like I'm setting myself up to fail.  But I did make a mini resolution to speak to my little girl more lovingly.  I caught myself shouting at her to "GET YOUR SHOES ON!" before school and hated the way I sounded.  She's four, she doesn't need that.

If you won the lottery what would be the first thing you'd buy?
It sounds really boring, but I've been really hankering after a Sleepy Nico baby carrier for This Baby.  They're gorgeous, but at £69+ I just can't justify the expense at the moment.  

If someone asked for a book recommendation, what would you give them?  
I adore Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland.  It is the only book I've ever read more than three times.

What is the one place you really HAVE to visit before you die?
Clovelly in Devon.  I feel so at home there.  I swear Crazy Kate's cottage was my home in a former life.

If you had one piece of advice for your 16 year old self, what would it be?
There is NOTHING wrong with you.  You are as good as anyone else in the world, don't put yourself down.  Oh, and when you go to see Peaches at The Forum in London in around 2008, you're going to bump into Noel Fielding.  KISS HIM!

What TV show that no longer airs do you miss most? 
I LOVED The League of Gentlemen, it appealed to my (occasionally) dark sense of humour.

What one hobby do you wish you'd pursued?
I wanted to take up the cello at school, but for some reason I wasn't allowed.  I should have made more fuss.

If you could time travel to what age, what one would you go to and why?
The reign of Queen Victoria would be quite cool.  I very much fancy a bustle...

What is the thing you most find attractive about the opposite sex?  
Intelligence.  Mr Husband Sir is a smart cookie,  I could tell that from the off. 

Who/what is your blogger inspiration?
Three ladies, I can't narrow it down between them:  Fritha at Tigerlilly Quinn, I've followed her blog for a long time now, and I just love it.  And my Grandpa was called Wilf and every time she says it my heart sings.  Charlotte at I'm Only Saying What You're Thinking, because she is usually saying pretty much EXACTLY what I am thinking.... and Hattie at Free Our Kids, because what she's trying to do is really bloody inspiration, I admire her a great deal.  

And finally... coffee or tea? Does that mean I can't say vodka?  Coffee flavour vodka?  Ok, ok, coffee.

Rhiannon's questions are:
1. If you are stuck on a desert island what 3 things would you want with you?
Insect repellent, an alarm clock & a first aid kit;)

2. Do you have a hidden talent?
Not sure that I do, it must be pretty well hidden!

3. Dress/Skirt or trousers to wear for the rest of your life?
Dresses ALL the way. If I never wear another pair of trousers that's fine by me.

4. What's your favourite flavour of cupcake?
Chocolate! Preferably made by my friend Lucky, she makes the best cakes.

5. What are your biggest blog inspirations?
I read blogs for a long time before I plucked up the courage to create my own.  If I could ever be half as entertaining as someone like Lakota at Faith, Hope & Charity Shopping, I'd be a happy girl indeed.

6. 10 years from now, where do you want to be?
Right where I am now, with my family by my side.

7. What is the one food you could live on forever?
Fishfingers! God I love 'em!

8. What is your favourite day of the year?
I have never thought about that before. Maybe Boxing Day, the pressures off, the telly's good and we're all together. Ooooh, and there are usually nibbly snacks around!

9. Morning or night person?
I used to be a night person, now I'm somewhere in between. I'm way better at managing mornings than I used to be. I have the Smalls to thank for that.

10. How do you spend your free time?
Being with my family, drinking coffee and yapping with my friends.

11. Why did you start blogging?
To capture my daily life somewhere, to record my children's lives, to have my say, to air my thoughts, to learn, to be inspired and to join in the fun!

I would like to nominate the following, deeply fabulous blogs, all of whom are well, well worth a visit:

1. Painted Style
2. A Rush of Love
3. Water Under It
4. My Little Acorns
5. Serendipity in Chaos
 6. I Write This Sitting in the Kitchen Sink
7. Puddle of Grace
8. Wallflower - Beauty & Babies
9. Mum in a Hurry


And these are my questions:

1. What was the first single or album you owned?
2. What do you have recurring dreams about?
3. What was your nickname at school, and why?
4. Have you ever had road rage?
5. What can't you leave the house without?
6. What song can you sing from start to finish without checking the words?
7. Ever chatted up a stranger? Dish!
8. What's your Wu Tang name?
9. Have you ever danced on the tables?
10. Where's your happy place?
11. Can you do the Macarena?

Go forth and create responses my pretties!




4 comments:

  1. Oooh thank you! Do I get a trophy or a medal or something? ;) Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Yes you do! I've been terrible at notifying people, sorry. Well found though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay you did it! I like that you did half and half of the questions, good idea :)

    & I'm sorry... as much of an animal lover I am.. I did laugh at the fact your dog ate your hamster..

    I just want to say I love your blog, I love that there is a voice in all your posts it makes them a pleasure to read :)

    Amy x cocktailsinteacups.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to say! Thank you Amy! I've loved doing this post, and reading the others, so nice to find out a little about the people behind the blogs xx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading your lovely comments x

If you're a rotten stinking spambot; shoooooo! Away with you!!